The Knife and Fork

One man's opinion on cooking (and drinking)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Cheap Red Wine Roundup

When my Amway business really takes off I'll be able to drink only really good wine but until then I need to find some reasonable cheapies. I suppose I probably spend just as much money buying cheap wine and dumping it as I would if I just bought wine I knew was pretty good but like most value-seeking fools I get drawn to a "deal". The wife and I were at Cost Plus recently and to kill time while she selected soaps based on flowers I've never heard of I browsed the wine section. I figured it was a good time to grab a few bottles of sub $10 that I knew from experience were tasty if not memorable. The varied results are as follows:

The Amateur Hour Line-Up (Cline Zinfandel in trash, not shown)

  • Bogle 2003 Petite Sirah: as I mentioned before, I like this fruity one and it's one of the best of this motley crew. If you can't find it for $10 or less then don't bother.
  • Rosenblum Zinfandel (Vinter's Cuvee XVII): Sounds fancy but I wonder if 'Cuvee' mean 'scraps' in French. A bit of a bitey finish but overall it's pretty good and worth its $8.
  • Rosso Shiraz: I couldn't find a year, probably because the winery doesn't even know. The use of the "Shiraz" term is a bummer but for $6 at Trader Joe's it's worth it (but probably not worth $7) .
  • Cline 2002 Zinfandel: I know, only the Syrah is pictured, sorry, we drank the one bottle of Zinfandel we bought, or we stripped furniture with it, I can't remember.
  • Ravenswood 2002 Zinfandel: They call it 'Vinter's Blend' but I think they meant to label it 'Vinter's Blind' because that would explain why they bottled this Windex and called it wine.
  • Cline 2002 Syrah: One of the best of the lot. It's a little rough around the edges but has some interesting flavors. I think I paid $7 and was pleased.
Ravenswood and Cline's Zinfandel were disappointing because some years they are tasty and the best deal around but I guess 2002 was an off-year. Maybe Chuck Shaw bought up all the best Fresno grapes out from under them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home