The Knife and Fork

One man's opinion on cooking (and drinking)

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Salmon Cakes - Worth a Fry

When it comes to seafood cakes, crab cakes may be king but good crab isn't always at your clawtips. Canned crab is so flavorless my cat would turn it's leathery nose up at it and "sea legs" (imitation crab meat) are an effront to anyone with a sense of taste and shouldn't be legal. On the other hand, decent salmon is readily available and makes a decent cake. My finite brain did not come up with this idea on its own - I stumbled across it in one of my Cook's Illustrated books (if anyone actually reads this post and actually wants the recipe, make a comment and I'll dig it up and post it). It was pretty straightforward - chop the salmon, mix with herbs and binding material, coat with panko Japanese bread crumbs then fry in an inch of hot corn oil until golden (3 minutes per side). I served them with a mayo based lemon-herb dipping sauce, roasted potatoes and broccoli. I really dug them and so did the "wind beneath my wings".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home