The Knife and Fork

One man's opinion on cooking (and drinking)

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gourmet Tonic Water?

The gin & tonic was my first favorite cocktail and despite my appreciation for other mixed drinks, it retains its crown to this day. This appreciation didn't come out of nowhere. As a youth I enjoyed tonic water on the rocks with squeeze of lime, oblivious to its typical use as a gin mixer. I'm not sure why but I really liked the contrast of the sugar with the bitter quinine, not to mention the carbonation.

I'll save a gin round up for another day - the purpose of this entry is to discuss a tonic water I discovered the other day. While at Cost Plus (rebranded as "World Market") I came across Stirrings Tonic Water in a little four pack of glass bottles. It touted itself as a gourmet tonic so naturally I was curious. Canada Dry and Schweppes are the only worthwhile tonic waters that I've found. Every other one tends to be cloying and syrupy. I've been looking for a more dry tonic than the acceptable national brands, thinking it would enable the gin to take center stage. So I paid the $4.89 and took home the Stirrings. On a recent balmy night I ran Stirrings through the paces when the wife and I made ourselves evening constitutionals out on the deck (see picture).

Bottom line - it tasted good on its own and made a fin G&T. Is it better than the big brands? I'm not sure but it's definitely at least as good and perhaps better. The packaging in little glass bottles is far superior so that alone wins points. The Anglo-style label is attractive but close inspection reveals it is from Nantucket ("There once was a gin from Nantucket...") and it was Est. 1997. I don't think I'd brag about that yet. I'll buy it and use it for pre-dinner drinks when we have guests over. It would be nice to serve someone a highball of ice with a lime, a beaker of good gin and a bottle of Stirrings and let them assemble. Will that ever happen? Probably not.

* The Tower of London gin in the photograph is fine. The bottle is impressive but almost too novelty. The gin is clean and straightforward. Our top choice is Junipero from the Anchor Brewing Company but it's a little difficult to find. FYI, Tanqueray's new Rangpur is too sweet, unlike their delicious-but-killed Malacca.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do try Fever Tree if you haven't yet.

http://www.fever-tree.com/

I got after reading about it in Imbibe. I am almost more picky about my tonic water than I am about my gin. ;)

-Scott

1:53 PM  
Blogger TasteBud said...

We just finished using up a four pack of Fever Tree and I like it a lot. I'm looking for Q that is sweetened with agave. They had it briefly at BevMo but it's gone.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home