The Knife and Fork

One man's opinion on cooking (and drinking)

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Simple Alfredo and Brussel Sprouts

Tonight I spent most of my kitchen time making braised short ribs for a dinner tomorrow night so I needed to whip something up quickly that would satisfy me and the wife while we watched Gillmore Girls and Scrubs. Oh yeah, and the cupboard was pretty much bare except for a few staples. Following the time honored axiom, 'when all else fails throw butter and cream at the problem and it will taste good', I thought a pasta Alfredo would work. I melted some butter in a small sauce pan, added some heavy cream then, when it was bubbling, added grated parmesan (reggiano) . The whole process took less time than it took the pasta to cook. To balance this gluttony out somewhat I made brussel sprouts as a side dish. They were braised for about 10 minutes in a little chicken stock and then fortified at the end with a splash of cream. I added some pressed garlic to mine (the wife and garlic are enemies) and a dusting of ground pepper. Tonight's meal turned out well and the short ribs are 80% complete and fall apart tender. I'll elaborate on the short ribs next time. Oh yeah, and I figured out the problem with group #2 on my commercial espresso machine and it's relatively inexpensive and simple to fix (more on the espresso machine, rags to riches story later).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home