The Knife and Fork

One man's opinion on cooking (and drinking)

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Morel and Crimini Mushroom Impregnanted Chicken Breasts

This toothsome little dish came from a French recipe cookbook that is actually quite hard to find. The recipes are good and each one features several full color pictures of the preparation and finished dish. For this one I seared a full, double, bone-in Rocky chicken breast in an All-Clad saute pan until the skin was golden and crispy, then set it aside to cool while I prepared the stuffing mixture in the same pan. The stuffing is a mixture of rehydrated morel mushrooms (I rehydrated in my homemade chicken stock) that are sauteed with sliced crimini mushrooms and shallots. Brandy (or Cognac) is added and reduced along with cream. The mixture is then stuffed into each breast (I cut pockets into each one) and held in place with toothpicks. Rather than finish cooking in the pan with more cream and the mushroom soaking liquid, as the recipe directs, I finished it in a 350 degree oven, partly due to its cumbersome size and partly to retain juiciness. I heated/reduced the cream and mushroom liquid which I fortified with chicken juices from the breasts after it had finished baking. The sauce was drizzled over the breasts and served with steamed aspiration (or is it broccolini?). I got my starch through the White Hawk India Pale Ale that I drank while cooking. The wife loved it, as she should have, and so did I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home